TWO days ago my sister and I had a Near Death Experience (NDE) in our apartment, time 8:30 pm, and perhaps, nearly put our kitchen on fire. How did it happen? Well, let me tell you the story.
We were making dinner (with menu: fried rice) and my sister was cooking the prawns and blah at that time. I was taking the rice out of the rice cooker, and planning to put it on the pan.
As my Mom always tells us to put newspapers beside the pan (to cover all other equipments so that they will not be oily blah), my sister put the newspaper near the rice cooker, in order to cover the rice cooker from being oily.
Only this time, the newspaper was put too near to the stove.
I was taking out the rice, while suddenly the newspaper slid by an inch and came in contact with the fire, which made the newspaper – oh well, on fire.
We were in panic, and my sister waved the newspaper in an attempt to put out the fire, but guess what? The fire was getting bigger! lol
Then I told her to put the newspaper in the sink and run water through it, hoping that it would put the fire out (50-50 chance here, either it would burn our kitchen or kill the fire!)
Luckily, the fire was slowly having its funeral, but the black remnants of the burnt newspaper was already everywhere (i.e. making our apartment extra dirty ;p).
Quickly I turned off the fire from the stove and we opened the veranda’s door and tried to turn off the alarm – which had been ringing for the past minute or so.
After all been said and done, we had a very good laugh and kept wondering why we did such silly things, she started cooking again and I did some cleaning for the apartment.
Still shocked and at the same time laughing frantically about the event, we vowed not to tell our Mom (which I hope she will not read this post). ;p
But the fried rice was still good, and I ended up eating more portion than my normal dinner. ;p
Oh well, NDE #1 for me, #2 for my sister ;p.