mp’s rating: 4 / 5 stars
Do you know what’s beautiful about life? We’ll never know when it ends. We can die today; we can die tomorrow. Or even 100 years later. Who knows? Only God knows, and once more, that what makes life beautiful.
In the beginning of this movie, Carter Chambers (played by Morgan Freeman) says that, “There was a survey once. A thousand people were asked if they could know in advance would they want to know their exact day of their death. 96% of them said no. I always kind of leaned towards the other 4%. I thought it would be liberating, knowing how much time you had left to work with. It turns out, it’s not.” Carter got cancer. His life is only months away. Now that he knows he is going to die, somehow life lost its beauty for him.
Edward Cole (played by Jack Nicholson), a millionaire, has got cancer as well. Realising that his wealth means nothing in the verge of his death, he then proposed Carter to make a ‘bucket list’. The list of things needed to be done before they die. Thus, they go in a journey, to fulfill their ‘bucket list’, and re-gain the beauty of life.
Life is beautiful. It certainly is. And it is even more beautiful when you have realised it! Cancer is real. Sickness is real. Death is real. But life is also real, isn’t it?
Both Carter and Edward decide not to give up on cancer. They have decided to do something more meaningful while they are still alive. Doing skydiving? not bad. Doing goodness to a complete stranger? even better. But most of all, they find life’s not life until they understand the joy in sharing life with each other. It’s always about giving, isn’t it?
Life lesson number 1: never give up. Even though they are diagnosed with cancer, they both refuse to just sit down and do nothing. Instead they try to do something useful and enjoy their remaining time. And throughout the way, they realise what is important in life and what’s not. what is that? you need to discover it yourself ;)
Life lesson number 2: Hmm, I think for this movie I’ll let you guys to watch it by yourself, and have your own lessons of life. This movie has too many meanings that I’d be loved to watch it over and over again. An ecstatic movie. Love it. ;)
There are some memorable quotes that I’d like to put here (alert alert! Too much spoiler in this ;p):
“Edward Perryman Cole died in May. It was a Sunday in the afternoon and there wasn’t a cloud in the sky. He was 81 years old. Even now, I can’t claim to understand the measure of a life, but I can tell you this: I know that when he died, his eyes were closed and his heart was open, and I’m pretty sure he was happy with his final resting place because he was buried on the mountain, and that was against the law.”
“Dear Edward, I’ve gone back and forth the last few days trying to decide whether or not I should even write this. In the end, I realized I would regret it if I didn’t, so here it goes. I know the last time we saw each other, we weren’t exactly hitting the sweetest notes-certain wasn’t the way I wanted the trip to end. I suppose I’m responsible and for that, I’m sorry. But in all honestly, if I had the chance, I’d do it again. Virginia said I left a stranger and came back a husband; I owe that to you. There’s no way I can repay you for all you’ve done for me, so rather than try, I’m just going to ask you to do something else for me-find the joy in your life. You once said you’re not everyone. Well, that’s true-you’re certainly not everyone, but everyone is everyone. My pastor always says our lives are streams flowing into the same river towards whatever heaven lies in the mist beyond the falls. Find the joy in your life, Edward. My dear friend, close your eyes and let the waters take you home.”
“Good afternoon. My name is Edward Cole. I don’t know what most people say at these occasions because in all honesty, I’ve tried to avoid them. The simplest thing is I loved him and I miss him. Carter and I saw the world together, which is amazing when you think that only three months ago we were complete strangers. I hope that it doesn’t sound selfish of me, but the last months of his life were the best months of mine. He saved my life, and he knew it before I did. I’m deeply proud that this man found it worth his while to know me. In the end, I think it’s safe to say that we brought some joy to one another’s lives, so one day, when I go to some final resting place, if I happen to wake up next to a certain wall with a gate, I hope that Carter’s there to vouch for me and show me the ropes on the other side.”
Furthermore, the soundtrack is just wonderful. It’s the song “Say” by John Meyer. Totally one of my favourite songs right now. check it out ;)